It is required that the Garvey staff member has a district-assigned Google account before he/she may use Google Mail after April 6, 2012.
- For those who have already activated their accounts, they should test-log in to https://accounts.google.com using the district-assigned Google account. Be reminded that the account user name is the staffer’s district e-mail address and the password should be at least 8-characters long. Contact ETO, should he/she forget the password
- If the staffer has NEVER activated the District assigned Google account, please activate it ASAP. The Google Account Activation Instruction was sent to the school/department in the January 23, 2012 Monday Morning News. Please check with your principal/department head.
By default, each Google account holder will have a calendar created for him/her after activating his/her Google account. Be reminded that Google account does more than a traditional calendar application; it is also an effective communication and collaboration tool.
- Share a specific event with others: Edit Event > Add Guests > (input e-mail addresses) > Save > (optionally, Send invitation). *The recipient may respond with Yes, No, or Maybe (with or without a note).
- Share the entire calendar with others: Settings > Calendar > Shared: Edit Settings (under Sharing) > Share with specific people > Enter e-mail address > (typically) See all event details* > Add Person. *Supervisors may have their assistants to maintain their calendar by opting for Make changes to events.
Google Tasks is a feature designed to help the user keep track of the things he/she needs to do. The user can create lists of items, set due dates and notes, and even add Gmail messages directly to Tasks.
- Easily convert emails into tasks and use keyboard shortcuts to save time.
- Create tasks with due dates and they automatically appear on your calendar.
GSD users will be able to access Google Mail after April 6. To use all the features of Google Mail, GSD staffers should access e-mails via a web browser (Chrome, Firefox, IE, or Safari, etc.). Navigate to the district home page or any school home page. Then click the hyperlink, GSD Webmail - New.
To assist GSD to migrate data, please complete the e-mail migration questionnaire
. (Use Mozilla Firefox if Internet Explorer does not bring forth the questionnaire.)
- For GSD users who primarily used GSD web mail, they should see their e-mail data transferred to Google Mail if they so choose in the questionnaire.
- GSD users used Eudora to access e-mails will need to have their existing e-mail data transferred from their computers to Google Mail. ETO staff will contact the user and schedule the data migration with him/her.
Google Groups can be used as mailing lists, discussion forums, and to share calendar, docs, sites and videos with colleagues.
- Enter addresses and add contacts
- Create contact groups
Google groups vs. contact groups: You might be wondering how Google groups differ from the contact groups you can create in your My Contacts list in Google Contacts. The primary difference is that a Google group has its own email address, so it can be shared in our Groups directory and others can send messages to it. Your contact groups, on the other hand, are for your personal use, to make it easy to add a list of addresses to your email messages and meeting invitations. Contact groups don't have their own email address, so no one else can sent messages to them.
For more information about Google Apps, check it out on Garvey Is Moving to Google
*Chrome as the Preferred browser for Google Apps users
- The GSD user must install Chrome him/herself.
- Please click the following link, Google Chrome download, to star download and install Chrome: Instruction of downloading and Installing Chome.