Every year, the Garvey Education Foundation awards grants (between $300 to $600) to teachers for enhanced learning projects in the classrooms. Project subjects range from history, science, math, computer science, and technology, to nutrition, gardening, languages, art and theater. These projects encourage innovation and collaboration. They also help students meet one or more of the standards for their grade level/subject area. The GEF grants meet teacher needs when school site funding could not meet the needs of the project. Over the past 13 years, GEF has distributed over $150,000 to Garvey School District teachers.
To support your efforts in promoting the academic excellence and whole child wellness of all students in the midst of prevailing challenges, the GEF Board is pleased to announce that mini-grants will be awarded to individual or groups of certificated staff who design activities that will help our students develop their academic competencies and social-emotional strength, such as collaborating with peers in academic and social group activities, engaging in rigorous learning, building relationships with staff, and…rejuvenating the “LEADER in ME.”
1. You must be a current certificated staff in the Garvey School District and your activity/project must be completed during school calendar year 2022-23 and can cover costs retroactively before the start of the school year.
2. Write a short narrative (not to exceed 250 words) describing the activity/project in which you wish your students to participate. Remember to include your name, school, and grade level.
3. Describe how your activity/project will benefit students as it relates to one or more of the Foundation’s goals (page 2).
4. Please include an itemized budget for your project or activity in your application. Applications will not be considered if a budget is not included.
5. If your application is selected, you will be notified and the award will be presented by October 31, 2022.
6. Due to regulations, grants WILL NOT COVER TRANSPORTATION COSTS OF ANY KIND.
7. APPLICATION DEADLINE: October 17, 2022 by 5:00 p.m.
8. Submit your application by E-mail to [email protected] or via District mail to the Garvey Education Foundation c/o Superintendent’s Office or by fax to (626)307-1964.
GARVEY EDUCATION FOUNDATION
The mission of the Garvey Education Foundation is to provide enhanced educational and leadership opportunities for students in the Garvey School District by providing financial and other resources for enriching and innovative programs, projects and facilities.
The Foundation will carry out its mission of developing life-long learners and leaders through goals in following areas:
Enhancing Arts Education
Support programs that enhance opportunities for students in the visual and performing arts.
Enhancing Technology Education
Support programs that expand the use of technology in our schools.
Enhancing Core Education Programs
Support teachers by providing funds for learning activities that supplement the core education program (Language Arts, Math, Science, Social Studies) through mini-grants. These grants will provide equipment, materials and training not funded through other means.
Enhancing Wellness Education
Support programs that encourage students to develop life-long, healthy
living habits through physical education, outdoor education and health and nutrition activities.
Providing Scholarship Opportunities
Support scholarship opportunities for graduating 8th grade students and Garvey students graduating from high school.
Promoting Community/School Partnerships
Provide a forum to bring the community together to support the Garvey School District, its students and staff.