The Garvey School District is committed to promoting a quality professional learning community in support of student achievement. To this end, the District provides a range of ongoing research-based professional development programs and services for teachers, paraprofessionals, and administrators to ensure compliance with state and federal programs and beyond. The professional development programs utilize the coaching and trainer of trainer model. They are characterized by research-based principles with the focus on classroom transfer and application, supported by classroom walkthroughs, student work examination, lesson study, and reflective practices.
For the school year 2016-2017, the district wide focus areas include:
- Effective Direct Instruction--Using brain-based strategies to support student learning (FAST Framework)
- The Leader in Me Program (7 Habits of Highly Effective People) – focus on character and leadership skills building
- Programs and Services for English Learners – focus on meeting the language and academic needs of English learners
- Implementation of the Common Core (CA) Standards in Language Arts and Math--
- Rollout of district-wide implementation of the math standards and mathematical practices via Houghton Mifflin, Go Math!, K-6, and Big Ideas, 7-8
- Exploration of Language Arts materials aligned to the new CA ELA/ELD Framework
- Planning and roll out of the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS)
- Instructional Technology - implementation and integration across content areas.
Please return soon to see other topics and handouts related to professional learning!